A great post today on the Union Blog http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/
Why studios should support shorts?
1) Shorts provide a continuity of work for employees who might otherwise be laid off and move on to the competition.
2) They are added value for the features to which they’re attached.
3) They provide valuable training for up-and coming board artists, directors, and writers.
4) They help keep well-loved franchises alive and viable between the ninety-minute tent poles.
5) They can be magnets for shiny gold statues that studios covet.